Re: PROBLEM: ENOEXEC on write to Opticon OPN-2001 barcode scanner

On 14 July 2010 17:35, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 04:52:55PM +1000, Brendan Jurd wrote:
>> I am attempting to get data from an Opticon OPN-2001 USB barcode
>> scanner (ID 065a:0009 Optoelectronics Co., Ltd).
>
> Get data means "read", right?
>
>> When I attempt to write anything to /dev/ttyUSB0, I get an ENOEXEC
>> "Exec format error":
>
> Wait, why would you want to write to a barcode scanner?  They are pretty
> much read-only devices, right?

I don't know about barcode scanners in general, but the OPN-2001 is a
detached handheld unit which scans a bunch of barcodes and keeps them
stored on the device.  You then plug in and connect to the scanner,
and issue a serial command to tell it to dump its stored barcodes.
What I'm trying to do here is issue a command to the device by writing
to it, and it should then respond as per its protocol.

But we're not even getting that far.  The write fails miserably with
the (rather curious) ENOEXEC.

Regards,
BJ