Re: PROBLEM: ENOEXEC on write to Opticon OPN-2001 barcode scanner

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 04:52:55PM +1000, Brendan Jurd wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am attempting to get data from an Opticon OPN-2001 USB barcode
> scanner (ID 065a:0009 Optoelectronics Co., Ltd).

Get data means "read", right?

> This device is detected successfully by the 'opticon' USB serial
> driver, and I get a device at /dev/ttyUSB0.  dmesg output follows:
>
> usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
> USB Serial support registered for opticon
> opticon 5-2:1.0: opticon converter detected
> usb 5-2: opticon converter now attached to ttyUSB0
> usbcore: registered new interface driver opticon
>
> When I attempt to write anything to /dev/ttyUSB0, I get an ENOEXEC
> "Exec format error":

Wait, why would you want to write to a barcode scanner?  They are pretty
much read-only devices, right?

Yeah, they do offer a zillion and one different configuration options,
but that happens by scanning the "magic" barcode and then the option
barcode you wish to change, right?

thanks,

greg k-h