Re: Proposed patch for cp210x: GPIO and USB descriptor control

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 08:48:29AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 08:34:02PM -0600, Steve McKown wrote:
> > AFAIK, only my company has shown any interest in such features under
> > Linux.  I don't think the effort to benefit ratio makes this a patch
> > worth considering any longer; I'm disinclined to ask you to waste your
> > valuable time.
>
> You're not wasting anyone's time, that's what we are here for.

For the record, my "day job" is with a company that uses these devices on
some products.  Actually, I see these devices in a lot of places in my
industry.

Having this material in-kernel for manufacturing and production test would
be valuable to the community as a whole.

> So if you convert the patch to use the gpio subsystem, I will be glad to
> review it again.
>
> This is how the whole process works :)

I've been following this discussion with some interest as well.  Nobody's
time is being wasted here.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

C:  Why are you upgrading to NT?
AJ: It must be the sick, sadistic streak that runs through me.
					-- Chief and A.J.
User Friendly, 5/12/1998