Re: Proposed patch for cp210x: GPIO and USB descriptor control

On Tuesday 18 May 2010 08:01:09 pm you wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 04:57:37PM -0600, Steve McKown wrote:
> > On Tuesday 18 May 2010 08:55:39 am Greg KH wrote:
> > > On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 08:44:59AM -0600, Steve McKown wrote:
> > > - Set VID, PID and descriptors: product, serial, and device version.
>
> You can dynamically change the vid and pid and stuff?  Heh, that's going
> to be fun to track :)

Thankfully it takes some work to get valid VID/PID allocations, so I don't
suspect a rash of new ones as a result of this driver.  We just use the
default VID/PID, even though we've toyed with getting our own.

> Those all could be done with sysfs files, right?
>
> > We use these ioctls to properly configure the cp210x embedded in several
> > of our USB device designs.  Currently, the patch includes cp210x.h which
> > can be included from userspace too, so that the ioctl commands, starting
> > at SIOCDEVPRIVATE, can be known without defining new ioctls globally.  Is
> > this enough isolation to consider their inclusion?  If no, what other
> > methods could be considered?
>
> configfs was created for configuring things, perhaps you might want to
> look into using that?
>
> Or, if they are single value things, like the vid/pid and such, then a
> writable sysfs file also would work well, and be much simpler than an
> ioctl for userspace to control.

Perhaps too simple.  Any yahoo with sudo and a bash prompt could do it.  ;)
There needs to be some barrier to entry to prevent casual alterations of
these critical settings.  That doesn't preclude a sysfs/configfs approach, of
course.  Hmm, I'll have to do some thinking, and reading up on configfs.
Thanks for the great feedback.

Steve