Re: System hangs when using USB 3.0 HD with on Ubuntu

James Bottomley wrote:
On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 11:20 -0700, Sarah Sharp wrote:
The drive stalls on the last command, which is a valid ATA command.  Can
you confirm if your device supports the SCSI ATA pass through
specification?

http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=f&f=sat2r09.pdf

Actually, that's not a valid standard ... it's unratified.  I know SCSI
tends to follow leading edge (i.e. unratified) standards, but most SAT
implementations have been following trailing edge ones ... in fact, very
few people have been claiming even SAT (as opposed to SAT-2) compliance,
so they more use it as a guideline.

If you want to read the doc, you have to get it from google using this
search string:

+"SCSI / ATA Translation (SAT)" +"revision 09"

And you'll find that citeseer still has the pdf.

but like I said, most people treat it as advisory not mandatory.

I'm not sure why Alan is having problems downloading
that document. To quote http://www.t10.org/drafts.htm :

"Non-T10 members will not be permitted to download
 working drafts for standards that have been approved."

And since SAT-2 has not yet been approved then you just
get a challenge screen asking who you are. It accepts
"linux" in all its fields (or anything else you like)
and then lets you download the draft.

That may change soon because SAT-2 is queued for
approval with INCITS. Not to worry, the SAT-3
project has been approved but the first draft has
not yet been posted. Technical work has started
on SAT-3 (e.g. there are approved changes from the
last month's t10 meeting).

Don't tell INCITS but existing t10 practice is that
rev 0 of the following series (e.g. sat3r0.pdf)
is often the same as ...

Doug Gilbert