Re: System hangs when using USB 3.0 HD with on Ubuntu

On 04/09/2010 11:54 PM, Sarah Sharp wrote:
Now that you mention it, we don't know what sort of chip you have.
Only that the vendor ID is 0x0411 (MelCo., Inc.) and the product ID is
0x0184.

Buffalo is part of the MelCo Inc. holding.

I've just opened the case on my Buffalo hard drive, and the circuit just
says Buffalo.  There's an ARM chip and a winbond chip, but not much else
to identify it.  I'll ask around the USB-IF PIL lab to try and get a
company contact.

The ARM chip in the Buffalo USB3 drive is the USB3-SATA bridge MB86C30A by Fujitsu: http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/EDG/binary/pdf/catalogs/a04000431e.pdf

My guess would be that any drive using this chip will choke on the identify command. Sarah, any chance you could get a contact at Fujitsu?

-Jonas