Re: System hangs when using USB 3.0 HD with on Ubuntu

On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 03:25:31PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Apr 2010, Jonas Schwertfeger wrote:
>
> > On 04/09/2010 07:14 PM, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> > > Someone should probably tell Neil Perng at Genesys Logic.  Maybe Dinh
> > > Nguyen (from the launchpad entry) can provide an email address or
> > > forward this thread on?
> >
> > Why are we sure that my drive has a chip by Genesys Logic in it at all?
> >   I know that there are disks out there with that chip and that there
> > are issues with it, but how did we conclude that the Buffalo drive has
> > the same chip in it?  Is there a way for me to verify what chip is used
> > without opening the case?
>
> Now that you mention it, we don't know what sort of chip you have.
> Only that the vendor ID is 0x0411 (MelCo., Inc.) and the product ID is
> 0x0184.
>
> I don't know of any way to find out what sort of chip it is without
> opening the case (except perhaps by asking the manufacturer).

I've just opened the case on my Buffalo hard drive, and the circuit just
says Buffalo.  There's an ARM chip and a winbond chip, but not much else
to identify it.  I'll ask around the USB-IF PIL lab to try and get a
company contact.

Sarah Sharp

p.s. The Buffalo USB3 drive was much easier to open than the Dane-Elec
drive (and the hard drive and board was actually secured, unlike the
other drive).  There's a screw on the top, and if you pry off the
stickers on the bottom, there's some plastic clips holding the case
together.