Re: Performance comparison of same device in Linux and Windows

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, Ramya Desai wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Is there any performance tools available under Linux environment to
> measure the performance of the mass storage drivers?

Yes: hdparm, dd, and time.

>  Currently I am
> using DD and hdparm commands to get the data transfer rates of my
> device. By connecting my device to Windows I got lot of improvement in
> data rates.
>
> Linux
> --------
> dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/home/testing/disk.Image bs=1G count=1
> 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 30.091 s, 35.7 MB/s

It would be better to use "of=/dev/null" because then the outcome
wouldn't be affected by the performance of the /home/testing device.

> Windows (using Crystal Disk Mark performance measurement tool)
> I got 95.8 MB/s for the same device for 1 GB of data read.

95.8 MB/s is impossibly fast for a USB-2.0 transfer; the theoretical
maximum bulk transfer rate is about 52 MB/s and actual rates are
smaller.

> My question is, why there is lot of difference between Windows and
> Linux for the same device?

As Greg said, it's because Linux and Windows were written by different
people.

> I am using xHCI controller and Sarah Sharp driver.

Above you said you were interested in measuring the throughput of
mass-storage drivers, so the controller driver you used is only partly
relevant.  What _mass-storage_ driver were you using?  And what driver
did you use under Windows?

Alan Stern