Re: Performance comparison of same device in Linux and Windows

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 06:54:56PM +0530, Ramya Desai wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Is there any performance tools available under Linux environment to
> measure the performance of the mass storage drivers? Currently I am
> using DD and hdparm commands to get the data transfer rates of my
> device. By connecting my device to Windows I got lot of improvement in
> data rates.
>
> Linux
> --------
> dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/home/testing/disk.Image bs=1G count=1
> 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 30.091 s, 35.7 MB/s
>
> Windows (using Crystal Disk Mark performance measurement tool)
> I got 95.8 MB/s for the same device for 1 GB of data read.
>
> My question is, why there is lot of difference between Windows and
> Linux for the same device?

It is a totally different codebase :)

> I am using xHCI controller and Sarah Sharp driver.

Last I looked, there was no USB 3.0 mass storage driver for Linux
that was public.  Perhaps Windows is using the new features for this
type of device, while Linux is not?

Do you get the same difference when running the tools connected to an
EHCI controller?

thanks,

greg k-h