Re: usbserial generic driver problems with system that also has USB-serial converter

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 07:48:35PM -0500, Forest Bond wrote:
> > Looks good, care to send it in patch format, with a signed-off-by: line
> > so that I can apply it?
>
> I can do that.  I renamed the driver to "vivopay-usbserial".  This may seem
> redundant given that it would live in drivers/usb/serial, but I thought it was
> appropriate given that the device provides more than one interface so there
> could be a "vivopay-hid" driver in the future.  Is this the right approach?

It's not redundant, because as you note, it needs to live in the global
namespace of all kernel modules.

But it does seem a bit "long", but I can't think of a better name right
now.  How about leaving it at 'vivopay' and then if there is a hid
driver, you can make that one 'vivopay-hid' later on?

> Also, do you have an opinion on proliferation of these kinds of trivial
> usb-serial drivers?  Is it possible to have too many?

Nah, more is good :)

Although sometimes I do wonder if we can merge all of these 'trivial'
ones into a single module, but I haven't spent much time working on it.

thanks,

greg k-h