usbserial generic driver problems with system that also has USB-serial converter

Hi,

I have a device that works well with the usbserial generic driver.  However, I
can't seem to get it to work on a system that also has a USB-serial converter
attached.

I've tried this:

  modprobe usbserial vendor=1d5f product=1004

... which worked well on other systems.

I've also tried this:

  echo '1d5f 1004' >/sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/generic/new_id

...but that doesn't seem to work.

I've tried all of the above with ftdi_sio (the module for the USB-serial
converter) unloaded.

Poking around generic.c seems to indicate that it can only be used for a single
device at a time.  Is this true?

Could the presence of an extra USB-serial converter make the generic driver
unusable for my other device?

I got desperate and gave the option module a try:

  modprobe option
  echo '1d5f 1004' >/sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id

That seems to work.  Is there any reason not to use the option module for a
generic USB-serial device (i.e. will I see problems when I'm actually
transferring data)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Forest