Re: usbserial generic driver problems with system that also has USB-serial converter

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 04:40:51PM -0500, Forest Bond wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a device that works well with the usbserial generic driver.

Ick, never use the generic driver for a "real" device, please add the
device id to the proper "real" driver instead.

> However, I
> can't seem to get it to work on a system that also has a USB-serial converter
> attached.
>
> I've tried this:
>
>   modprobe usbserial vendor=1d5f product=1004
>
> ... which worked well on other systems.
>
> I've also tried this:
>
>   echo '1d5f 1004' >/sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/generic/new_id
>
> ...but that doesn't seem to work.

Why not, what happens?

> I've tried all of the above with ftdi_sio (the module for the USB-serial
> converter) unloaded.
>
> Poking around generic.c seems to indicate that it can only be used for a single
> device at a time.  Is this true?

No, not at all.

> Could the presence of an extra USB-serial converter make the generic driver
> unusable for my other device?

It should not.

> I got desperate and gave the option module a try:
>
>   modprobe option
>   echo '1d5f 1004' >/sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id
>
> That seems to work.  Is there any reason not to use the option module for a
> generic USB-serial device (i.e. will I see problems when I'm actually
> transferring data)?

What type of device is this that you are trying to use the generic
driver for?  You should use the real driver instead, so if it would be
controlled by the option driver, use it like you just did.

thanks,

greg k-h