Re: Possible problem with thunderbolt 4

Hi Mika,

it seems that I have an issue here which seems similar to the one on the HP earlier this year.

This time the hardware is a Dell Latitude 7440 with a rather new Intel i5-1345U (13th Gen.) and TB4. I have three Docks, one older Dell WD19TB, a newer Dell WD22TB4, and a ThinkPad Universal USB-C Dock.
With the TB4 dock everything works fine (meaning all hardware is functioning in the UEFI firmware as well as in Windows after booting Linux first).

With the older TB dock, as well as with the USB-C dock the network interface on the dock is dead after Linux. But in contrast to the HP case from earlier this year, this time the network interface remains dead when I boot Linux again. After replugging the dock it becomes alive again.

This can easilsy be reproduced by booting Ubuntu 22.04 from an USB device. Using a newer kernel with the UNSET_INBOUND_SBTX fix does not solve the issue.

I'm not sure if this is a USB or Thunderbolt issue, could be an issue with the network device, too (all three docks have the same Realtek 8153). But I don't see this problem with these docks on other Laptops I have access to, so probably it's not the network device...

Can I provide some logs, etc. to dive deeper into this?

Thanks and best regards,
Christian