Re: USB runtime PM issues on i.MX6ULL

Hello Jun Li,

On Tue, Nov 01, 2022 at 03:10:46AM +0000, Jun Li wrote:

> > > How is your USB_OTG1_VBUS status? Can you try to make your
> > > USB_OTG1_VBUS pad has a valid VBUS voltage, then run your Host only
> > > port test with runtime PM enabled?
> >
> > USB_OTG1_VBUS is tied to GND the same way as USB_OTG2_VBUS, not really
> > straightforward to do such a test.
>
> iMX6ULL need at least one valid VBUS(either from OTG1 or OTG2) as input to
> power the internal USB LDO if I understand correctly.
This surprise me a little bit, since
 - the i.MX6ULL datasheet prescribe to keep the VBUS disconnected if
   unused
 - downstream NXP kernel seems to work fine ("seems" since we do have
   some patches there, so I could be wrong)
 - disabling runtime pm on upstream Linux kernel make it works
   perfectly, so there is a way in SW to have this HW configuration
   working.

> your HW to meet this: for Host only port, you have to connect USB_OTG2_VBUS
> to a valid VBUS and make it always present for simple.
> You can do some quick HW change to prove this.
We have no way to change the HW in reality, therefore doing a one off
test would be pretty much irrelevant.

Said all of that, given what you wrote, I feel like having a specific
dts property in the chipidea driver to disable runtime pm might be the
way to go.

Something like `ci,disable-runtime-pm`? I know the DTS is supposed to
describe the HW, so maybe a different property name would be required.

What do you think about this?

Francesco