Re: [Fwd: Requests regarding sysfs documentation and USB]

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 03:26:05PM +0200, Michael Thayer wrote:
> At Greg's request I am forwarding this to linux-usb.  I would much
> appreciate if you could CC me on any answers!

I think Alan answered most of your questions already, but...

> The first is a documentation request.  Since hal has been deprecated, we
> are switching to using sysfs in VirtualBox to obtain certain information
> about hardware on the host system.  Despite all warnings, sysfs has
> proved to be one of the most stable ways of getting such information for
> a wide range of kernel versions (our code works fine with 2.6.5 up to at
> least 2.6.31).  The way that I have done things so far rather disregards
> the advice in Documentation/sysfs-rules.txt; I have a feeling though
> that that advice is somewhat outdated.  Would it be possible to update
> that file to reflect current wisdom?

I don't understand, what documentation needs to be updated?

And as always, patches are gladly accepted if you find changes that
need to be done :)

You might want to look into using libudev if you are relying on sysfs
device usages, it is future-proofed a lot for some of the changes that
will be happening to the sysfs layout in the next few years.

thanks,

greg k-h