Re: [Fwd: Requests regarding sysfs documentation and USB]

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009, Michael Thayer wrote:

> The other request is for some way to inhibit loading of in-kernel USB

You probably mean "not-in-kernel" -- in-kernel drivers don't need
to be loaded as they are already present in the kernel.  Or maybe you
mean "binding" rather than "loading".

> drivers for specific devices.  The reason for this is that for various
> reasons, it is often desirable to have USB devices entirely under the
> control of a guest system through /dev/bus/usb, and obviously it doesn't
> play nice if the host drivers start doing things with the device first.
> This is presumably something which would be interesting for other
> similar virtualisation products.

The feature you appear to be asking for has already been added to the
2.6.32 kernel.  For more information see

	http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=124650199917239&w=2

> I'm more than open to any suggestions about how to do that last without
> kernel changes (since that would let us do it on existing systems, not
> just future ones), and otherwise I'm also happy to code up the necessary
> changes myself, but in that case I would much appreciate it if you could
> shepherd me somewhat through producing something that would be
> acceptable for mainline inclusion.

The easiest way to prevent loading of specific drivers without
modifying the kernel is to blacklist them in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.
The next easiest way is to remove (or rename) the module's .ko file
under /lib/modules -- or not to build it in the first place.

There is no way to prevent binding of in-kernel drivers to new devices
(other than the new mechanism described above).

Alan Stern