From: Michael Thayer <Michael.Thayer@xxxxxxx>
To: greg@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Requests regarding sysfs documentation and USB
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 16:03:52 +0200

Hello,

I am one of the Linux people on the VirtualBox team at Sun.  I have a
couple of unrelated requests regarding the Linux kernel, and it would be
great if you could help me with them.

The first is a documentation request.  Since hal has been deprecated, we
are switching to using sysfs in VirtualBox to obtain certain information
about hardware on the host system.  Despite all warnings, sysfs has
proved to be one of the most stable ways of getting such information for
a wide range of kernel versions (our code works fine with 2.6.5 up to at
least 2.6.31).  The way that I have done things so far rather disregards
the advice in Documentation/sysfs-rules.txt; I have a feeling though
that that advice is somewhat outdated.  Would it be possible to update
that file to reflect current wisdom?

The other request is for some way to inhibit loading of in-kernel USB
drivers for specific devices.  The reason for this is that for various
reasons, it is often desirable to have USB devices entirely under the
control of a guest system through /dev/bus/usb, and obviously it doesn't
play nice if the host drivers start doing things with the device first.
This is presumably something which would be interesting for other
similar virtualisation products.

I'm more than open to any suggestions about how to do that last without
kernel changes (since that would let us do it on existing systems, not
just future ones), and otherwise I'm also happy to code up the necessary
changes myself, but in that case I would much appreciate it if you could
shepherd me somewhat through producing something that would be
acceptable for mainline inclusion.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Michael Thayer
--
Sun Microsystems GmbH        Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24               VirtualBox engineer

Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028