Re: [Fwd: Requests regarding sysfs documentation and USB]

On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 11:16 -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> [...]
[Snip]
> > > This was the subject of a discussion on LKML back at the time the patch
> > > was being written.  You might be able to find it in the archives.  The
> > > overall conclusion was that there already are mechanisms for this (like
> > > O_EXCL) and the kernel doesn't need to get involved any further.
[Snip]
> In fact O_EXCL is not a good example.  It applies only in conjunction
> with O_CREAT -- it causes the open to fail if the file already exists.
> Better examples would be the F_SETLK fcntl, flock, or lockf.
Ah, a shame, if exclusive access requires mandatory locking then the new
mechanism may not help us much, as we only have limited control over how
the systems we run on are set up, and probably can't expect that to be
available (not to mention that the glibc manpage claims that it is
unreliable on Linux in any case).

Thank you for all the clarifications though!

Regards,

Michael
--
Sun Microsystems GmbH        Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24               VirtualBox engineer

Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, 85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028