Re: Forcing a specific baud speed in ftdi_sio

On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 11:27:09AM +0200, Søren Hauberg wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I'm not sure if I'm asking the right place, so feel free to tell me to
> get elsewhere...
>
> I am in the sad position where I have to run some proprietary software
> ("Evolution ERSP", it's control software for a robot) on a recent
> kernel; I'm using 2.6.28.
> The software has been developed for Linux 2.6.8, and Evolution (the
> company behind the software) provided a patch for the 'ftdi_sio'
> module in this kernel that forced the baud speed to 250000. The ERSP
> software depends on this patch. The patch simply did
>
>        /* convert baud rate from 230K to 250K for RCM device */
>        if ( baud == 230400 && port->serial->dev->descriptor.idVendor ==
> EVOLUTION_VID )
>          {
>            baud = 250000;
>            dbg("%s: bumped magical 230400 baud to 2.5kb", __FUNCTION__);
>          }
>
> as part of 'get_ftdi_divisor'. I tried making the same change in the
> 'ftdi_sio' module in 2.6.28, but it seems the 'get_ftdi_divisor'
> function isn't called anymore.
>
> My question is: is there some way I can reintroduce the above
> mentioned patch? I know it's a hack, but the proprietary nature of the
> ERSP software seems to render such hacks necessary.

Why can't you just run a program that sets the baud rate to this speed
on the device, before running the ERSP program?

If that doesn't work, yes such a change can be made to the driver for
you, but as you have found out, the odds of it working properly on
future kernel releases is quite slim.

thanks,

greg k-h