Re: Forcing a specific baud speed in ftdi_sio

2009/7/8 Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 11:27:09AM +0200, Søren Hauberg wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> I'm not sure if I'm asking the right place, so feel free to tell me to
>> get elsewhere...
>>
>> I am in the sad position where I have to run some proprietary software
>> ("Evolution ERSP", it's control software for a robot) on a recent
>> kernel; I'm using 2.6.28.
>> The software has been developed for Linux 2.6.8, and Evolution (the
>> company behind the software) provided a patch for the 'ftdi_sio'
>> module in this kernel that forced the baud speed to 250000. The ERSP
>> software depends on this patch. The patch simply did
>>
>>        /* convert baud rate from 230K to 250K for RCM device */
>>        if ( baud == 230400 && port->serial->dev->descriptor.idVendor ==
>> EVOLUTION_VID )
>>          {
>>            baud = 250000;
>>            dbg("%s: bumped magical 230400 baud to 2.5kb", __FUNCTION__);
>>          }
>>
>> as part of 'get_ftdi_divisor'. I tried making the same change in the
>> 'ftdi_sio' module in 2.6.28, but it seems the 'get_ftdi_divisor'
>> function isn't called anymore.
>>
>> My question is: is there some way I can reintroduce the above
>> mentioned patch? I know it's a hack, but the proprietary nature of the
>> ERSP software seems to render such hacks necessary.
>
> Why can't you just run a program that sets the baud rate to this speed
> on the device, before running the ERSP program?

Okay, so I've been playing around with this for some hours now, and I
am able to set the baud rate to 250000 both in kernel and from user
space. However, this does not seem to be enough (i.e. communication
with my robot still fails).

In Linux 2.6.20 it was enough to set the baud rate, but this does not
appear to be the case in 2.6.28. So, does anybody know if something
(default communication settings or something like that) has changed
since 2.6.20? I'm really shooting in the dark at the moment, so any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Søren