Re: usb_clear_halt in USB serial drivers

On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 11:33:36AM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> Greg:
>
> A lot of the USB serial drivers call usb_clear_halt in their open
> methods.  Are these calls really needed?

Hm, at least one was, in the whiteheat driver, I don't know about the
others, it might just have been copied around :(

> There are comments about this in several of the drivers, particularly
> whiteheat.  Most of them boil down to "work around HCD bugs".  As far
> as anyone knows there are no remaining bugs of this sort in the HCDs
> -- and if there were, it would be better to fix them instead of working
> around them.

Those HCD bugs were usually from a different operating system, so the
devices had wierd workarounds themselves to handle this.  Hopefully
those issues are also resolved in those operating systems now as well.

I have no problem taking them out where you think that they are not
needed, and seeing what happens.  Especially for things like the option
driver where it fixes real problems.

> Another possibility has to do with firmware changes, but I don't see
> how a firmware update could require a bunch of clear-halts for bulk
> endpoints.
>
> The cypress_m8 driver also calls usb_clear_halt from within its
> completion routines, which is definitely wrong.

Yeah, that looks odd.

thanks,

greg k-h