Re: 2.6.30 and USB auto-suspend

On Friday 26 June 2009 20:22:47 Sarah Sharp wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 07:53:29PM -0700, Alberto Gonzalez wrote:

> > > BAD BAD BAD
> > >
> > > You've found a piece of hardware that is broken. Please report the
> > > `lsusb -v` output and tell us which devices are affected. This way
> > > Sarah can maybe check and fix this upstream.
>
> I may not be able to fix it.  There are many USB devices that break when
> autosuspend is enabled, and it's not the driver's fault.  Please
> recompile your kernel with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG turned on (it's already
> turned on in most distros) and post the dmesg to the linux-usb mailing
> list.  Oliver Neukum, who did the autosuspend patches for the USB HID
> driver, should be able to help you debug.

Ok, will do. Thanks.

> It's interesting that you could suspend the keyboard and mouse at all,
> because I was under the assumption that X continually polls the mouse
> and keyboard.  Are you running powertop at the console?

I don't know why I could suspend the keyboard and now I can't, but the mouse
suspends reliably. I'm doing this in X, from Konsole (KDE).

> > Well, as it usually happens, after reporting something you can't
> > reproduce the exact same behavior :( However, something does happen:
> > after pressing the U key at powertop's suggestion I do lose my mouse and
> > can't get it back. But now I can't seem to lose the keyboard as it
> > happened to me before, and so USB remains active and the wakeups reported
> > remain the same.
> >
> > What I did notice is that the value of
> > /sys/bus/usb/devices/.../power/autosuspend is 0 for all my devices. After
> > an echo 10 on my mouse device I could get it back to life with a left
> > click, and from that point auto-suspend works as expected (after 10
> > seconds my mouse goes to sleep and I can wake it up with a click).
>
> Does it wakeup with a left click if you set the autosuspend file to 1 or
> 2?  2 seconds is the default for that file, and powertop really
> shouldn't try to set it to 0 seconds.

Yes, with ../power/level to auto and ../power/autosuspend set to 2, the mouse
suspends after 2 seconds and wakes up on a click (but as Mathew Garret said in
another mail, this is uncomfortable and it should really wake up on movement).

> > However, this doesn't work with
> > my keyboard or optical drive (which is the other USB device I have),
> > those remain active 100% of the time.
>
> The optical drive is a mass storage device, and there is no autosuspend
> patch for that driver.
>
> > Which value does the U key in powertop touch to enable USB auto-suspend?
>
> It has to set the power/level file to auto to enable autosuspend.  My
> guess is that it also sets the power/autosuspend file to 0.

Exactly, I've verified that before using powertop the values are 2 and "on"
respectively. Pressing U in powertop changes them to 0 and "auto".

Alberto