Re: 2.6.30 and USB auto-suspend

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 07:53:29PM -0700, Alberto Gonzalez wrote:
> On Friday 26 June 2009 00:51:18 Kok, Auke wrote:
> > Alberto Gonzalez wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a Dell Studio desktop with a USB mouse and keyboard. Until now,
> > > every time I ran powertop it told me to enable USB auto-suspend by
> > > pressing the U key. Doing so had no effect and it would continue to tell
> > > me the same again and again.
> > >
> > > Now I have upgraded to kernel 2.6.30 (a distro kernel - Arch Linux) and
> > > powertop tells me to enable USB auto-suspend too,  the difference is that
> > > now it does have an effect and the wakeups get reduced. The problem is
> > > that I lose my mouse and keyboard.
> >
> > BAD BAD BAD
> >
> > You've found a piece of hardware that is broken. Please report the `lsusb
> > -v` output and tell us which devices are affected. This way Sarah can maybe
> > check and fix this upstream.

I may not be able to fix it.  There are many USB devices that break when
autosuspend is enabled, and it's not the driver's fault.  Please
recompile your kernel with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG turned on (it's already
turned on in most distros) and post the dmesg to the linux-usb mailing
list.  Oliver Neukum, who did the autosuspend patches for the USB HID
driver, should be able to help you debug.

It's interesting that you could suspend the keyboard and mouse at all,
because I was under the assumption that X continually polls the mouse
and keyboard.  Are you running powertop at the console?

> Well, as it usually happens, after reporting something you can't reproduce the
> exact same behavior :( However, something does happen: after pressing the U
> key at powertop's suggestion I do lose my mouse and can't get it back. But now
> I can't seem to lose the keyboard as it happened to me before, and so USB
> remains active and the wakeups reported remain the same.
>
> What I did notice is that the value of
> /sys/bus/usb/devices/.../power/autosuspend is 0 for all my devices. After an
> echo 10 on my mouse device I could get it back to life with a left click, and
> from that point auto-suspend works as expected (after 10 seconds my mouse goes
> to sleep and I can wake it up with a click).

Does it wakeup with a left click if you set the autosuspend file to 1 or
2?  2 seconds is the default for that file, and powertop really
shouldn't try to set it to 0 seconds.

> However, this doesn't work with
> my keyboard or optical drive (which is the other USB device I have), those
> remain active 100% of the time.

The optical drive is a mass storage device, and there is no autosuspend
patch for that driver.

> Which value does the U key in powertop touch to enable USB auto-suspend?

It has to set the power/level file to auto to enable autosuspend.  My
guess is that it also sets the power/autosuspend file to 0.

Sarah