Re: 2.6.30 and USB auto-suspend

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009, Alberto Gonzalez wrote:

> > Does it wakeup with a left click if you set the autosuspend file to 1 or
> > 2?  2 seconds is the default for that file, and powertop really
> > shouldn't try to set it to 0 seconds.
>
> Yes, with ../power/level to auto and ../power/autosuspend set to 2, the mouse
> suspends after 2 seconds and wakes up on a click (but as Mathew Garret said in
> another mail, this is uncomfortable and it should really wake up on movement).

Some mice can wake up on movement and some can't.  (For example, an
LED-based mouse doesn't have enough power in suspend mode to illuminate
the LED, so of course it can't detect movement.)  The spec allows
either behavior.

> > > Which value does the U key in powertop touch to enable USB auto-suspend?
> >
> > It has to set the power/level file to auto to enable autosuspend.  My
> > guess is that it also sets the power/autosuspend file to 0.
>
> Exactly, I've verified that before using powertop the values are 2 and "on"
> respectively. Pressing U in powertop changes them to 0 and "auto".

0 is certainly wrong.  It means to suspend the device immediately after
every I/O operation completes!

Oliver, maybe you should patch usbhid to make it avoid autosuspending
mice while the device file is open.  That should prevent a lot of
complaints.  Maybe keyboards too, I don't know -- people don't seem to
be having as much trouble with them.

Alan Stern