Re: udev-> libusb issue, already posted to libusb group

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 09:04:59AM -0700, jack craig wrote:
> i have created the rule, ...
>
> BUS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1808", ATTRS{idProduct}=="5555", NAME="obdii", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="obdii"
>
> when i plug in my widget, sure enough, i get a /dev/obdii created with
> my desired permissions so udev is ok (AFAIK).

It should be a symlink, right?  What is the link pointing to?

> llibusb.

Too many 'l' there :)

> however, when i try and run my program and use the libusb functions,
> it tries to open the /dev/bus/usb/003/002 device node which is not
> device file i have so carefully created.

Why not?  What device file did you create?

And that sounds like your problem right there, you are matching on the
wrong thing in your udev rule.

Actually, you should not need to do _any_ of this, your system should
handle the control of the usb devices properly and give the local logged
in user access to them, no udev rules required at all.

If this isn't happening, it's a bug in your distro.

And yeah, I know you are using Intel's Moblin images, turns out they
haven't implemented this yet, go bug them about it if you care :)

good luck,

greg k-h