udev-> libusb issue, already posted to libusb group

Hi folks,

I posted this to libusb-devel yesterday w/o comment, so time to put this in front of the 'Big USB Guns'.

I am writing code to use a usb widget and need to provide world read/write access.

i have met udevadm and created the below rule to form my /dev/obdii node properly.

my usb widget enumerates on the usb bus, but when i try to do an open of my device via libusb 1.0,
i am getting a mismatch. i created /dev/obdii, but the libusb stack is determined to use /dev/bus/usb/003/002
which is 0660.

udev.

i have created the rule, ...

BUS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1808", ATTRS{idProduct}=="5555", NAME="obdii", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="obdii"

when i plug in my widget, sure enough, i get a /dev/obdii created with my desired permissions so udev is ok (AFAIK).

llibusb.

however, when i try and run my program and use the libusb functions, it tries to open the /dev/bus/usb/003/002
device node which is not device file i have so carefully created. note that i used the code sample from the api reference to get my libusb_open() setup.

my question is, how do i get libusb to use my /dev/odbii device node instead of /dev/bus/usb/003/002?

do i need to close the /dev/bus/usb/003/002 and do an open on /dev/obdii before getting the handle for use in libusb_open() ?

tia, jackc...
--
   jack craig
      jackc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx