Re: Trouble with D-Link hub.

On Fri 090515, Karl Kiniger wrote:
> ..forgot to Cc linux-usb
>
> On Fri 090515, Karl Hiramoto wrote:
> > Dave Higton wrote:

> [.......]
> > that most mass storage devices won't work through it, though they
> >> work fine when connected directly to the computer.  I would be
> >> interested in any insight that this thread might give me.
> >>
> >> Dave
> >>
> > I thik this hub has the  philips ISP1521  chip in it..   It has only one
> > TT per port.   I've notitced if you have all high speed devices, it
> > seems to work.  If it stops working you have to unplug/plug it to reset
> > it.
> >

> > I think windows has the same issue:
> > http://www.techtalkz.com/microsoft-device-drivers/243707-usb-problem-when-using-philips-isp1521-based-hub.html

Since this topic is quite important to me and explains some
mysterious USB problems in the field:

does anymody by chance have a copy of the discussion thread mentioned in
this URL? The original thread has been already deleted
(USB-IF Developers Discussion Forum)

To help my (quite) limited understanding of the problem:

    is this a mis-behavior of the ISP1521 chip alone, USB driver or
    a combination of both? (I have read it affects at least  Linux and XP,
    likely W2k as well)

    low speed devices (mouse etc) will cause the same problem?
    (i am assuming yes)

I did not have problems when running Linux so far but the usage
pattern/data traffic is completely different. In our case there is
a Prolific USB <> RS232 bridge attached to one port of the ISP1521.

As soon as I unplug this I can play plug/unplug games with a memory
stick and dont see any problems. We did not have problems with the
DVD drive attached to the same hub via USB <> IDE bridge (cypress).

Which 7 Port hub chips are known to not have this problem? I think
I have seen this also with a Cypress hub but I am not sure for now.

Special thanks to the other Karl for mentioning this URL.

Comments appreciated,

Karl
--
D.I. Karl Kiniger     mailto:karl.kiniger@xxxxxxxxxx
Tel: (++43) 7682-3800-710  Voip(GE): 1662 710