RE: Trouble with D-Link hub.

On Thursday May 14, Ethan wrote:

> I'm having trouble with a 7-port, powered USB hub made by D-Link
> (model DUB-7).  The devices plugged into the hub seem to work fine for
> small transfers, but large transfers (such as to/from a scanner or
> usb-storage device) break something.  Once things are "broken" I see
> from the syslog that the bus is reset every few seconds.  It is not
> clear to me if any data moves at all between bus resets but it is very
> little if anything.  When the bus is in this state, all devices on the
> bus become inaccessible not just the one that was engaged in the
> transfer.  Removing and reinstalling the ehci_hcd and ohci_hcd modules
> seems to reset the bus and correct the problem until the next large
> transfer is initiated.
>
> I suspect the problem lies with the hub because all of the devices
> work fine when plugged directly into the computer or when plugged into
> a different brand hub.

I also have a DUB-7 that I use on RISC OS.  I noticed a long time ago
that most mass storage devices won't work through it, though they
work fine when connected directly to the computer.  I would be
interested in any insight that this thread might give me.

Dave

NICE CTI Systems UK Limited ("NICE") is registered in England under company number, 3403044. The registered office of NICE is at Tollbar Way, Hedge End, Southampton, Hampshire SO30 2ZP.

Confidentiality: This communication and any attachments are intended for the above-named persons only and may be confidential and/or legally privileged. Any opinions expressed in this communication are not necessarily those of NICE. If this communication has come to you in error you must take no action based on it, nor must you copy or show it to anyone; please delete/destroy and inform the sender by e-mail immediately.

Monitoring: NICE may monitor incoming and outgoing e-mails.

Viruses: Although we have taken steps toward ensuring that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.