Trouble with D-Link hub.

I'm having trouble with a 7-port, powered USB hub made by D-Link
(model DUB-7).  The devices plugged into the hub seem to work fine for
small transfers, but large transfers (such as to/from a scanner or
usb-storage device) break something.  Once things are "broken" I see
from the syslog that the bus is reset every few seconds.  It is not
clear to me if any data moves at all between bus resets but it is very
little if anything.  When the bus is in this state, all devices on the
bus become inaccessible not just the one that was engaged in the
transfer.  Removing and reinstalling the ehci_hcd and ohci_hcd modules
seems to reset the bus and correct the problem until the next large
transfer is initiated.

I suspect the problem lies with the hub because all of the devices
work fine when plugged directly into the computer or when plugged into
a different brand hub.

The linux kernel version is 2.6.26.  The computer is AMD64 based with
an AMD SB700 southbridge.  The hub is D-Link model DUB-7.

Does the linux hub driver have any parameters that I can try tweaking?
 I can't seem to find much documentation on it.  Can anyone suggest
other troubleshooting steps?

Thanks.

--Ethan