Re: USB Type-C hub detection is flaky

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 12:10:56PM +0200, Timur Krist?f wrote:
> On Tue, 2018-06-26 at 11:29 +0300, Heikki Krogerus wrote:

> > > The issue also happens with the non-Thunderbolt USB Type-C port, at
> > > least on this laptop.
> >
> > Ah, ic. XPS 9360 has two thunderbolt ports and a standard-A port on
> > the other side. I can see that the standard-A port has been replaced
> > with the USB Type-C port on XPS 9370.
> >

> 9360 (2017 model) has two USB 3.0 Type-A ports and one Thunderbolt 3
> Type-C (with 2 PCI-E lanes).
>
> 9370 (2018 model) has one USB 3.1 Type-C, and two Thunderbolt 3 Type-C
> ports (with 4 PCI-E lanes). No Type-A ports. This is what I've got.
>
> > Are you able to test if the problem can been seen also in Windows?
>
> I don't have Windows with this machine (it came with Ubuntu). But I
> guess I could try with an evaluation version of Windows, if that is
> helpful.

It would help confirm if this is a firmware related bug or not.

One thing I forgot to ask you. Do you see any messages in your syslog
when the problem happens, and is there any difference in the syslog
messages when compared to the situation where the hub is enumerated
normally?

Can you send the dmesg output after you have plugged the powered and
non-powered hubs:

        % dmesg > <output file name>

Thanks,

--