First bulk write often doesn't seem to reach device.

I'm using usbfs. There's another odd thing I've seen often enough to make me
suspicious that I'm doing something wrong. After opening a device and doing a
few control requests to it, the first bulk write seems to work yet doesn't seem
to reach the device. The ioctl() [USBDEVFS_BULK] returns the correct byte count
yet the device doesn't respond. All subsequent bulk writes do work properly.

Has anything like this been observed before? Does it perhaps mean that the
output endpoint is in some sort of undesirable state, and, if so, is this a
relatively common occurrence? Is there some way to prepare the device and/or
endpoint so make the first bulk write more reliable?

EMail: dave@xxxxxxxxx | Canada  K2A 1H7   | 2011 Oct 21 is the End of the World.