Re: RFC: platform overrides of gadget descriptions (ids/text)

On Tuesday 27 January 2009, Peter Korsgaard wrote:
> Now, I could hack up something like below to override that stuff on
> the kernel cmdline, but that doesn't quite seem clean.

Especially since it duplicates stuff at the top of
the drivers/usb/gadget/composite.c file ... :)

> Ideally I would
> like to just be able to add a platform_device with this kind of info
> in my platform code or similar

I kind of like the idea of not doing this with
module parameters ... but I'm not sure how to
make the init model work otherwise.

There are a lot of conflicting requirements in
this area.  Including the ability to reconfigure
devices on the fly by loading different gadget
drivers.  If those drivers are configured using
module parameters, it's easy to see how all that
works.  Not so if there's a platform_device
that's got to embed a single set of choices about
what gadget will exist.

- Dave