Re: WARNING: at drivers/usb/storage/transport.c:584

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 00:20, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Grissiom wrote:
> > > Just out of curiousity, what sort of USB disk (vendor and product) are
> > > your 10d6:1101 and 0781:5151 devices?
> > >

> > In my memory, 10d6:1101 stands for a ONDA 1GB mp3, Vx818 and
> > 0781:5151 is a SanDisk 8GB USB key which I forgot the product
> > name(it's not mine).
>
> Are you sure this warning appears when you use a SanDisk USB key?
> That's most unexpected.

Yes I'm sure. The product is something like

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(2585)-SDCZ4-8192-A11-SanDisk_Cruzer_Micro_Skin_USB_Flash_Drive_8GB.aspx
.

I remembered dmesg shown the product name Cruzer.

> > It's also strange for me that when I plug in a
> > Kingston DataTraveler 2.0, the WARNING never shown.
>
> The warning doesn't show up unless the device has an odd number of
> sectors.  Most devices have an even number of sectors, so they never
> trigger the warning.  In principle I would expect _all_ USB flash
> devices to have an even number of sectors; that's why I'm surprised
> the SanDisk key doesn't.

Hmm, I see. So maybe the SanDisk key is a fake one or just a hardware bug? ;(
And, is there any possibilities that print just a message like "Your
USB disk has an odd number of sectors." instead of a threatening call
trace? I have no technique but I think it will be better. It's just my
own opinion.;)

--
Cheers,
Grissiom