Re: WARNING: at drivers/usb/storage/transport.c:584

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Grissiom wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 01:25, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > There's nothing to fix, because nothing is wrong; the warning message
> > is purely informational.  The reason for making it a warning was so
> > that it would show up in the kerneloops project's records.  The warning
> > itself will be removed before 2.6.29 is released.
> >

> Thanks for the explanation.
>
> > Just out of curiousity, what sort of USB disk (vendor and product) are
> > your 10d6:1101 and 0781:5151 devices?
> >

> In my memory, 10d6:1101 stands for a ONDA 1GB mp3, Vx818 and
> 0781:5151 is a SanDisk 8GB USB key which I forgot the product
> name(it's not mine).

Are you sure this warning appears when you use a SanDisk USB key?
That's most unexpected.

> It's also strange for me that when I plug in a
> Kingston DataTraveler 2.0, the WARNING never shown.

The warning doesn't show up unless the device has an odd number of
sectors.  Most devices have an even number of sectors, so they never
trigger the warning.  In principle I would expect _all_ USB flash
devices to have an even number of sectors; that's why I'm surprised
the SanDisk key doesn't.

Alan Stern