Re: WARNING: at drivers/usb/storage/transport.c:584

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009, Grissiom wrote:

> > The warning doesn't show up unless the device has an odd number of
> > sectors.  Most devices have an even number of sectors, so they never
> > trigger the warning.  In principle I would expect _all_ USB flash
> > devices to have an even number of sectors; that's why I'm surprised
> > the SanDisk key doesn't.
>
> Hmm, I see. So maybe the SanDisk key is a fake one or just a hardware bug? ;(

I don't know.  But it's an interesting observation.  I haven't
encountered any other flash devices with an odd number of sectors.

> And, is there any possibilities that print just a message like "Your
> USB disk has an odd number of sectors." instead of a threatening call
> trace? I have no technique but I think it will be better. It's just my
> own opinion.;)

That message is going to be removed entirely.  I'll get rid of it in a
couple of weeks, say, the beginning of February.  It's hard to say
which kernel release will first show the change; maybe -rc4 or -rc5.

Alan Stern