Re: Re: excessive usb traffic with FT230x

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 03:50:34PM -0000, Karl Palsson wrote:

> Johan Hovold <johan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > The usbmon traces seem to be a continual reporting of the "0x0160" shown
> > > in the ftdi_get_modem_status lines.  Is this actually _meant_ to be
> > > happening?  Can I turn it off?  Any other suggestions?
> >
> > This is the device reporting the modem and line status every
> > millisecond. You can increase the interval by clearing the low_latency
> > flag and setting a even higher value than the otherwise default 16ms
> > period through sysfs.
> >
> > Note that this also means that any data received will not necessarily be
> > forwarded every millisecond either anymore.
> >

> Ok, I've now seen that this is actually happening with my ftdi ft232
> devices on desktop linux too [1], but not for my cp210x, and not for a
> ch341 device

Different chips have different protocols and ways of communicating from
the host to the device.

> If I'm not interested in modem status, can I disable this entirely?  I
> don't even have modem lines connected.

Is this data packet somehow causing a problem with your system?  If so,
I suggest using a different type of usb to serial device, but it might
be hard to find a device that doesn't do some kind of communication when
the port is open, that's how data is received from the device :)

thanks,

greg k-h