Re: excessive usb traffic with FT230x

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 02:48:18PM -0000, Karl Palsson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been using OpenWrt's "usb activity" led trigger to display
> usb-serial traffic over a cp210x dongle quite successfully, but after
> replacing the cp210x with a FT230x, I find that I get constant USB
> traffic (every millisecond) as soon as the port is opened.

> It's important to note that /dev/ttyUSB0 still _works_ I just get
> substantially more usb traffic than I expect.  I do _not_ see this level
> of traffic with any FT232RL devices or cp210x devices, though,
> unfortunately, I can't test those with the same hardware.  The FT230x is
> permanently connected to a SMSC USB2640 hub on a custom board.  I also
> don't have a FT230x I can try on my desktop linux either at this stage.
> :(
>
> This is seen with kernel 3.18.12, but was originally seen with 3.10.49.
> I can't see anything in the ftdio_sio driver other than new VID/PIDs
> since 3.18, so I haven't tried anything newer.
>
> The usbmon traces seem to be a continual reporting of the "0x0160" shown
> in the ftdi_get_modem_status lines.  Is this actually _meant_ to be
> happening?  Can I turn it off?  Any other suggestions?

This is the device reporting the modem and line status every
millisecond. You can increase the interval by clearing the low_latency
flag and setting a even higher value than the otherwise default 16ms
period through sysfs.

Note that this also means that any data received will not necessarily be
forwarded every millisecond either anymore.

Johan