Re: Similar Elan Touchscreen reset behaviour

On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 12:37:19AM -0700, Eric Decker wrote:
> Hi Sarah,
>
> I talked to you a while back about the ELAN touchscreen in my ASUS laptop
> doing a repeated disconnect.
>
> It just came back.   So you are probably right about it being flakey h/w.
>
> Returning it at this point probably isn't an option.
>
> Now if the ELAN touchscreen is a problem, is there a way to blacklist it so
> it doesn't get turned on?
>
> I don't even use the touchscreen.

You could blacklist the driver, e.g. put the module name in
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-whatever.conf

That will at least stop the module from being loaded, but won't stop it
from being enumerated.  I think there's a way for userspace to claim a
particular port so that the kernel doesn't even do enumeration, but I
can't remember the interface.  Maybe Mathias or Alan knows?

Sarah Sharp