Re: Similar Elan Touchscreen reset behaviour

On Thu, 2 Jan 2014, Sarah Sharp wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 06:28:20AM -0800, Eric Decker wrote:

> > When I boot using a live USB (the kernel in this case is
> > vmlinuz-3.11.0.12-generic), I see a couple of messages and then the kernel
> > finishes (that is it doesn't hang).  *Although the number of reattaches
> > seems suspect.*

By "reattaches", do you mean that the ELAN touchscreen disconnects from
the USB bus and then reconnects?

> > Now when I boot with Ubuntu 13.10 as installed (kernel
> > vmlinuz-3.11.0.14-generic), I see the ELAN connecting and disconnecting
> > over and over again on the usb bus.   It looks similar to what Drew
> > originally reported except I'm not seeing error -71.  It just keeps on
> > happening and this seems to prevent the kernel from finishing the boot
> > process.
> >

> > I just tried to duplicate the behaviour.  I basically started over with a
> > fresh copy of Ubuntu 13.10 from my liveUSB.   It has kernel
> > 13.11.0-14-generic and it goes from usb device 4 up through 13 which is
> > basically what the -12 kernel did.   This was with a fresh install and
> > before I started messing with additional packages.
> >

> > Well I just finished doing everything that I thought I did before.   (I
> > just finished installing Bumblebee for the nvidia controller)   And it is
> > behaving itself.    So probably going to chaulk this one up to gremlins.
> > Thoughts?

If you get different behavior at different times using the same
software, then most likely it's an intermittent hardware problem.

> It sounds like you have electrical issues with the internally connected
> touchscreen.  I wouldn't be surprised if it starts connecting and
> disconnecting again at some random time in the future.  I would highly
> recommend returning the laptop and getting a new laptop if possible.

Especially if the same sort of thing happens when you boot the laptop
with a different OS.

> Depending on what Alan says, it might be useful to see a USB mon trace,
> and the documentation for how to capture that is here:

usbmon can be helpful when the disconnection is caused by the OS
sending a request that the device doesn't understand and can't handle.
However, such things tend to be very reproducible, which means it
probably isn't the reason for this problem.

Alan Stern