Re: Similar Elan Touchscreen reset behaviour

On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 02:30:40PM -0700, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 12:37:19AM -0700, Eric Decker wrote:
> > Hi Sarah,
> >
> > I talked to you a while back about the ELAN touchscreen in my ASUS laptop
> > doing a repeated disconnect.
> >
> > It just came back.   So you are probably right about it being flakey h/w.
> >
> > Returning it at this point probably isn't an option.
> >
> > Now if the ELAN touchscreen is a problem, is there a way to blacklist it so
> > it doesn't get turned on?
> >
> > I don't even use the touchscreen.
>
> You could blacklist the driver, e.g. put the module name in
> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-whatever.conf
>
> That will at least stop the module from being loaded, but won't stop it
> from being enumerated.  I think there's a way for userspace to claim a
> particular port so that the kernel doesn't even do enumeration, but I
> can't remember the interface.  Maybe Mathias or Alan knows?

You might want to look at Johan's patches on the list, they address a
known problem with ELAN touchscreens of being "flakey" that solves the
issue with my laptop, and should be merged soon.  The problem is the
hardware goes crazy if it doesn't see USB traffic very quickly after
booting, and constantly.  So switching to console mode, or booting to
console mode can cause problems.  I'd be interested to see if those
patches solve your issue as well.

thanks,

greg k-h