Re: dummy_hcd performance / correctness

On Fri, 30 May 2014 pktoss@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I couldn't use dummy_hcd with g_tcm_gadget (UAS storage) with recent 3.15-rc
> kernels, firstly it wouldn't even work because stream support was broken
> and when I could get it to work with g_mass_storage, performance was horrible
> due to the driver using jiffies instead of hrtimers.
>
> With these two patches dummy_hcd works for me acceptably (no doubt it can
> be improved even more). Without them I get 4MB/s with usb-storage
> (because uas.ko wouldn't bind due to broken streams regression).
> With them I get 100MB/s with uas / tcm_usb_gadget (and 25MB/s
> for g_mass_storage) in an ordinary 3.15-rc8 HZ=250 tickless kernel.
>
> Please review and consider merging, other people have complained for
> the performance problem of dummy_hcd as well, e.g:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18606393/very-low-performance-of-g-mass-storage-virtual-usb-device
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.usb.general/86580

If someone is concerned about performance, they should not be using
dummy-hcd.  It will never perform as well as the loop driver.  And
that's okay, because it was never meant to be high-performance -- it
was meant to help test gadget drivers.

For testing purposes, faithful emulation is much more important than
performance.  To get a good emulation, we need a timer resolution of
1000 Hz, so moving to hrtimers is a good idea.  But not for the reason
mentioned in the patch description.

Alan Stern