RE: USB/IP

From: Greg KH
> > I found it much easier to build a non-initrd kernel (ie one that
> > has all the devices needed to boot builtin) than to work out
> > how to build one that contains an initrd image.
>
> Then you are using the wrong distro, as a simple 'make install' in the
> kernel directory should build the initrd for the kernel you are
> installing, and install it in the bootloader properly.
>
> I suggest switching distros :)

I want to build the kernel on a different system, not the one
I'm doing the testing on.
At one point I was copying test kernels out to several other
systems.

It is a bit 'fubar' because I have to run 'make install'
and 'make modules-install' (specifying a specific target directory)
to generate the files I need to copy to the test machine.
Fortunately 'make install' generates everything before erroring out
because it doesn't have root access.

	David