USB/IP

Greetings.

I've got an educational challenging task to develop
my own or to improve an existing one USB
device over IP network sharing system. And I've
made a decision to explore USB/IP project.

I've tried to explore it on my own, but I still have
questions which I haven't found an answer yet.
More over, as far as I've concerned, the
information on the sourceforge page is rather
obsolete, especially what relates the latest
most up-to-date versions that are stored in
a git-repository of the linux-next integration tree.

Could you please help me a little bit by answering some
questions?

The fact is that, moreover, I'm pretty new in git and
so can not, probably, get all the information out there, sorry.

And I haven't found any instructions, manuals or how-tos
about how to build and debug those most up-to-date versions
of usbip. May be it is obvious for an experienced user,
but not for me, as far as my experience with Linux is only
for about 6 months using as a guest OS on a virtual machine.

So, as far as I've concerned, I'd better build the whole
custom linux kernel with the usbip debug-driver built-in
to debug usbip, wouldn't I?

If so, which linux distro is worth being chosen for
building and testing that custom kernel and, especially,
usbip, in particular, and does distro really matter?
I've got CentOS 6.5 and Ubuntu 13.10
on a virtual machine under Windows 7.
I prefer CenOS, but what if it I'd better choose
Ubuntu cause its' official version of the kernel
is most up-to-date?

In short, all I'm worring about is which distro to choose as
a base, which distro version to choose and which
kernel of a new version to choose to build it as a custom one, load it to the distro and try to debug usbip in there, finally.

The kernel should be enough stable and contain
the most up-to-date usbip sources, I suppose.

And the distro and the kernel should be enough
compatible to each other, I suppose.

So what tools (distro, kernel) I'd better choose,
specifically?

And what else information might be useful for me
to manage to try debugging usbip?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Constantine Gorbunov