Re: [RFC 2/2] usb: core: allow a reference device for new_id

Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 11:25:13PM +0100, Bjørn Mork wrote:
>>
>> I still see one use case which isn't yet covered: Overriding a static
>> entry.  This would be particularily useful for class drivers with per
>> device exceptions. Is there any real reason why we cannot parse the
>> dynamic list before the static list? Or is this considered part of the
>> user API and therefore not changeable?
>
> No, I don't think this is part of any user API, and agree that it would
> be good to sometimes use the user provided table first, I don't recall
> anyone asking for that before.

I probably haven't asked because it wouldn't help my particular use case
without Wolfram's code to set the driver_info.

But now that we have that, I see a perfect way to test per-device
driver_info exceptions in class drivers.  We do that here and there for
different reasons, and being able to make an end user test new entries
without patching would be very useful.

I'll follow up with a patch.

Bjørn