Re: [RFC 2/2] usb: core: allow a reference device for new_id

Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Very nice, I like this a lot!

Agreed!  Nice idea.  Please go ahead and add it for 3.14.  My following
comments are just some additional ideas that popped into my head.  They
can be dealt with later, if they make sense to anyone else.

I still see one use case which isn't yet covered: Overriding a static
entry.  This would be particularily useful for class drivers with per
device exceptions. Is there any real reason why we cannot parse the
dynamic list before the static list? Or is this considered part of the
user API and therefore not changeable?

I also wonder if we should return an error to the user in case we don't
find a matching reference entry?  It will otherwise be very difficult
for the user to catch typos.

Bjørn