Re: [RFC 2/2] usb: core: allow a reference device for new_id

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 11:25:13PM +0100, Bjørn Mork wrote:

> I still see one use case which isn't yet covered: Overriding a static
> entry.  This would be particularily useful for class drivers with per
> device exceptions. Is there any real reason why we cannot parse the
> dynamic list before the static list? Or is this considered part of the
> user API and therefore not changeable?

No, I don't think this is part of any user API, and agree that it would
be good to sometimes use the user provided table first, I don't recall
anyone asking for that before.

> I also wonder if we should return an error to the user in case we don't
> find a matching reference entry?  It will otherwise be very difficult
> for the user to catch typos.

Ah, yeah, that would be a good idea, Wofram, care to do an add-on patch
for that?

thanks,

greg k-h