Re: Kernel freeze during ftrace startup test (x86)

Am 18.10.2010 19:54, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 17:35 +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:

>>> Note, there was a bug fixed due to pv ops and kvm clock being traced:
>>>
>>> http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/9/22/455
>>>
>>> The two fixes are next in that thread.
>>
>> Alternatively, this should avoid running into the code paths:
>>
>> qemu-system-x86_64 [...] -cpu kvm64,-kvmclock
>> (ie. claim that we don't support kvmclock)
>
> Wouldn't that cause a slowdown in performance?

If you have a stable host TSC, the guest will happily use it. If not, it
will fall back to hpet or other more "heavy" clocksources. Still, you
won't notice the difference under moderate workload.

> Also, does this keep from using pvclock too?

On KVM, kvmclock is the one and only pvclock provider.

Jan