Re: Kernel freeze during ftrace startup test (x86)

On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 14:33 +0200, Felix Jirka wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to build a kernel-image based on 2.6.32.20 with RTAI-patch
> (3.8.1) and enabled tracing.
>
> During the first tests I noticed that when I try to enable the
> function trace via debugfs the machine reboots.
> Then I enabled FTRACE_STARTUP_TEST and now the kernel freezes during
> the boot process while doing the function trace test and it seems to
> be completely unresponsive (sysrq-key not working...).
>
> I can also observe this behavior with a vanilla 2.6.32.20 kernel
> running in a VMWARE-Machine.

It is most likely that the virtual machine code is being traced and
causing an infinite recursion. The function tracer has basic recursion
protection, but there's some code that it can't protect against. If any
of the following is traced, then it will cause a recursion crash:

Atomic incs, disabling interrupts, smp_processor_id().

> Is this caused by some wrong configuration settings on my side or is
> there a bug involved?
>
> How can I collect more information about the problem?

Unfortunately, you will need the developers of vmware or RTAI to fix
this for you.

-- Steve