Re: Kernel freeze during ftrace startup test (x86)

Am 18.10.2010 16:06, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-10-18 at 14:33 +0200, Felix Jirka wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to build a kernel-image based on 2.6.32.20 with RTAI-patch
>> (3.8.1) and enabled tracing.
>>
>> During the first tests I noticed that when I try to enable the
>> function trace via debugfs the machine reboots.
>> Then I enabled FTRACE_STARTUP_TEST and now the kernel freezes during
>> the boot process while doing the function trace test and it seems to
>> be completely unresponsive (sysrq-key not working...).
>>
>> I can also observe this behavior with a vanilla 2.6.32.20 kernel
>> running in a VMWARE-Machine.
>
> It is most likely that the virtual machine code is being traced and
> causing an infinite recursion. The function tracer has basic recursion
> protection, but there's some code that it can't protect against. If any
> of the following is traced, then it will cause a recursion crash:
>
> Atomic incs, disabling interrupts, smp_processor_id().
>

>> Is this caused by some wrong configuration settings on my side or is
>> there a bug involved?
>>
>> How can I collect more information about the problem?
>
> Unfortunately, you will need the developers of vmware or RTAI to fix
> this for you.

To close this off-topic issue for this list:

Actually, none of both is involved. It's the Adeos/I-pipe kernel patch
that RTAI uses (with some modifications). I've been hammering on those
bits for a 2.6.35 over the last days. Works fine here with both ftrace
and perf, but it's still experimental. Announcements on Adeos&Xenomai
lists will follow later today.

Jan

PS: Adeos has it's own function tracer that should work with your kernel.