RE: PATCH Prevent spi-dw write transaction split

Hi Trent,
You Said:
> It's just a minor change in the device tree to switch to using GPIO based chip select.  There is no big re-write.
> Disabling interrupts is not very nice to all those users who do not need it.
> And if I understand correctly, after the fifo fills you still have the same problem that the master we de-assert chip select if the fifo then empties, which your patch doesn't address.
> What's more, IIRC, switching from write to read also causes a cs pulse on this controller in certain spi modes.
> So really your just mitigating one of many ways using the native cs on this controller can fail.  Use a gpio CS and solve all of them.
Using GPIO was the first solution we tried to implement, the problem was not defining "cs-gpios" in the device-tree,
but rather the CYCLONE5 (socfpga).
our FPGA expert tried to define the GPIOs using his DSP tools,
his conclusion was that in CYCLONE5 the DesignWare-SPI chip-select is hard-wired and can't be replaced by individual GPIO(s).
That left us with only option as the spi-dw software patch that I am pushing.
As for transfer(s) bigger than the TX-FIFO, the suggested "patch" can't address that issue, but I assume that for SPI device
which support large transfers can't be sensitive to byte-order and chip-select!

Gil Beniamini
Gilat Satellite Networks – R&D
gilb@xxxxxxxxx
Phone: (972)-3-9252427 Fax:(972)-3-9293240
IMPORTANT - This email and any attachments is intended for the above named addressee(s), and may contain information which is confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender immediately and delete this email: you should not copy or use this e-mail for any purpose nor disclose its contents to any person.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux ARM (vger)]     [Linux ARM MSM]     [Linux Omap]     [Linux Arm]     [Linux Tegra]     [Fedora ARM]     [Linux for Samsung SOC]     [eCos]     [Linux Fastboot]     [Gcc Help]     [Git]     [DCCP]     [IETF Announce]     [Security]     [Linux MIPS]     [Yosemite Campsites]